Tips for Care- ZZ Plant (Zuzu plant, Zanzibar gem, emerald palm)
ZZ plant is an easy to care indoor plant, which is also an air purifier as it removes Toluene and Xylene from the air. It looks lush & healthy and grows everywhere. Ideally, one should keep this plant at a place that gets 3-4 hours of morning/evening indirect sunlight. It is an excellent tabletop and office plant.
- Potting - Can be grown on any soil and region, be it tropical, subtropical, or temperate zone. Use a mix of mud, vermicompost, perlite, and coco peat (1:1:1:1). Drainage holes at the bottom of the pot are essential. When a plant grows beyond its limit and pot size does not provide enough space for the spread of roots, re-pot with fresh soil and some fertilizer. While re-potting, try not to disturb the roots.
- Watering Requirement - Every 3-4 days in summer and once every ten days in winter.
- Light Requirement – It is a low-light Indoor Plant.
- Propagation can be propagated by dividing rhizomes (bottom portion of the root) or leaf cuttings. One should place leaf cuttings in a pot and then wait for roots to begin growing. This process could take up to a year.
- Fertilization – Use any organic fertilizer. Fertilize every 2-3 months.
- General Tips - Avoid any drastic change in the provided environment. Otherwise, the plants may get stress/shock. For any insect attack or disease, you can use Neem oil, Eucalyptus oil, or Citrus oil spray for primary treatment.
Air-purifier: Yes, The ZZ plant removes Toluene and Xylene from indoor air. So it helps in eliminating vehicular pollution.
Common name(s): ZZ plant is also known as Zuzu plant, Zanzibar gem, and emerald palm. It belongs to the Araceae family.
Bloom time: Midsummer to early autumn.